Thursday 18 February 2010

Holy Moly!

I was downloading what seemed like a zillion photos from my camera the other day (to make room for me to take a zillion more photos) and came across this picture which I had totally forgotten I had taken.

It's of a t-shirt of Mark's that bears my VERY FIRST SCREEN PRINT from about 5 years ago. I taught myself to make emulsion screens and screen print at home and I remember thinking 'How hard can it be?'. Well, not very hard once you get the hang of it, though I probably shouldn't have chosen to do a two colour print as my first one, but being the impatient sort I am, I must have been keen to get cracking on the project I had in mind for it (which I think was a cushion cover, hence the flat top on the cloud).

Anyway, Mark sometimes still wears this tee! It was really very old when I first printed on it (which is why he let me print on it!) and is now full of holes where it has worn through, but he loves it so I let him be.

I think one day when it's really falling apart and can't possibly be worn ever again I am going to frame it and hang it on the wall as a reminder of the mad-cap, paint everywhere, working in far too small a space, experimental start to what has now become my livelihood!

2 comments:

Teasemade said...

i love seeing where things trace back to and how they develop, certainly need to keep hold of that tee!

Unknown said...

how cool! what a great find! i love looking back, its alaways so encouraging :)
and that is a beautiful t-shit, particularly for your first screen!
loveit
lovebree